Each month the Human Concerns Committee will highlight the work of a community organization doing outstanding ministry in the city of Milwaukee. Our August partner is Father Gene’s Help Center!
The mission of Father Gene’s Help Center is to provide dignity through free clothing to people in the greater Milwaukee community.
Father Gene’s Help Center was founded in 1969 by Father Gene Jakubek, a Jesuit priest born and raised in Milwaukee’s Riverwest neighborhood. He was a graduate of St. Casimir school and Marquette University High School. In the past 50 years, FGHC has served as a bridge connecting folks in the community who have extra clothing to share to folks in the community in need of clothing. FGHC accepts donations of new and gently used clothing for women, men, and children of all shapes and sizes. FGHC has no zip code or income restrictions and anyone is welcome to receive clothing, free of charge. Father Gene’s Help Center relies on the generosity of volunteers and has opportunities for individuals and groups interested in service.
Did you know that Father Gene’s Help Center recently expanded services to include a client shopping experience? FGHC recently converted their front room into a free store, in which clients are invited, by appointment, to shop for themselves and their family members once every three months.
Education and Involvement
Father Gene’s Help Center welcomes volunteers as individuals or groups, for one-time or ongoing service experiences. We will host a Family of Four tour of Father Gene’s Help Center as well as the opportunity to serve our community on Wednesday, August 24th from 5-8 pm! If you’d like to sign up for this event, please email Laura Hancock at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on Monday, August 23rd. Volunteer roles include assisting client shoppers, restocking, and sorting incoming donations. If you’d like to learn more about volunteering at an alternate time, contact the Executive Director, Jessica Luebbering, by email at email@example.com or by phone at (414) 258-4357, ext. 101.
- That all people in the greater Milwaukee community may have access to clean, dignified clothing that enables them to better share their gifts with the world.
- That all people find meaningful employment that maximizes their individual strengths and talents. That all may work in just conditions and be fairly compensated for their labor.
- That all may be conscientious consumers of clothing and be mindful of the environmental impact of our clothing choices.
- That dignity, abundance, hospitality, and compassion may continue to grow at Father Gene’s Help Center through our clients, volunteers, and staff.
To Support this Community Ministry Connection
- New Underwear
- Plus Sized Clothing
- Men’s Athletic/Tennis/Casual Shoes
- Men’s Jeans, 30”to 38” waist
- Activewear bottoms (sweatpants, leggings, basketball shorts)
To make a monetary donation, go to https://www.fathergeneshelp.org/donate.