Each month the Human Concerns Committee will highlight the work of a community organization doing outstanding ministry in the city of Milwaukee. Our September partner is the Guest House of Milwaukee! We are pleased to highlight this essential Milwaukee community of ministry this month.
Guest House of Milwaukee provides shelter, housing, education, and services to Milwaukee’s homeless who seek to transform their lives with dignity and purpose.
Located in the King Park neighborhood, Guest House is the largest publicly funded homeless shelter in the city and has been leading the Milwaukee community in ending the cycle of poverty in their clients’ lives for nearly forty years. On-site, the Guest House provides shelter for 86 single men every night, which include 52 emergency shelter guests, 12 veterans, and 22 men in an intensive recovery program (due to covid-19, shelter capacity has been limited to 65 guests to allow for social distancing). In addition to providing shelter on-site, they have expanded their overall services to include Interim and Permanent Supportive Housing programs and Clinical services through their mental health & addiction counseling clinic. Annually, The Guest House of Milwaukee serves over 1,200 men, women, and families in Milwaukee County through their various programs.
Education and Involvement
We joined the Guest House Milwaukee on September 16 via Zoom to learn more about their decades-long mission to end homelessness in our city by implementing innovative programs and services to those in need. During this educational Zoom event, members of the Family of Four Parishes also learned ways we can contribute our time and talents to help support this vital ministry. A recording can be found below or at https://youtu.be/1opD_BArS1k.
Check out the powerful video series here: www.guesthouseofmilwaukee.org/video-series
- For clients of The Guest House of Milwaukee to maintain their health and safety during these difficult times.
- For their staff who never stopped delivering critical services throughout the pandemic.
- For the dedicated volunteers and community partners of The Guest House of Milwaukee. They could not do this work without them!
To Support this Community Ministry Connection
- Visit The Guest House of Milwaukee Amazon wish-list to purchase needed items. Orders ship directly to Guest House. https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/JH4B1N8SJ67S?ref_=wl_share
- The Family of Four Parishes already sponsors a monthly meal at the Guest House of Milwaukee! You are welcome to get involved by preparing or sponsoring an additional dinner meal for 86 guests, making sandwiches for the guests and community, assembling treat bags to brighten their clients’ days, or purchasing basic household items to assemble a “Getting Started Kit” for clients moving into their new units! To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website: www.guesthouseofmilwaukee.org/ways-to-give
- To make a monetary donation, please visit: https://guesthouseofmilwaukee.kindful.com
- Visit The Guest House of Milwaukee website to subscribe to their e-newsletter to stay up to date on important Guest House news and urgent needs!
Link to organization website: https://www.guesthouseofmilwaukee.org